Meet the TRICKED Authors: M.Z. Medina

Tricked:
An Anthology of Short Fiction
Thanks so much to everyone who helped us celebrate the release of Tricked last Friday! We had a blast over at the Facebook party, and we hope everyone who got a copy is enjoying the stories.

I'm back today to continue our series of interviews featuring fun, trickster-themed questions and answers with each of the anthology authors. Today I have fantasy and speculative fiction writer M.Z. Medina. In M.Z.'s gorgeous fantasy story, "Whispers of Ink," the main character, Elene, discovers her sister has attracted the attention of an Old One. She attempts to dissuade his interest by reading him awful love letters she passes as her sister’s, but as their daily meetings progress, is Elene really trying to trick him, or just her own heart?

Let's get to know M.Z. a little better!


Without giving anything important away, who is your trickster in "Whispers of Ink," and what inspired you to write their story?
There are no creatures more adept at tricking than the Fae, and I've been wanting to write a story featuring them, so this was the perfect opportunity! I had also been toying around with a take on Cyrano de Bergerac, so once I thought about it, they seemed a match made in Heaven.

Who is your favorite trickster from literature, movies, TV, folklore, etc.?
I think it's hard to find true tricksters that aren't just the bad guys and they're trying to trick you into your death. I think that's why the Fae are my favorite. I enjoy the shade of gray they represent—they might be playing with you, help you, or mean you true harm depending on their whim and mood. When it comes to tricksters, I always lean toward folklore and mythology and often forget there are other human tricksters such as magicians.

If we were all characters in a heist story, what skill would you bring to our team?
I'd be in charge of making the doodles on the whiteboard as we plan our entry/exit into the building!

Everyone knows how much I love animals, so . . . If you had an animal mascot for your writing, what kind of animal would it be?
Cat, because they think they're so cool and often fail at the simplest things. Or bunny, because they just eat away at everything on your desk and you have to forgive them because they look so adorable doing it. Bunnycat? Kittybunny?

What project are you working on next?
There's always a Fantasy in the pipeline!

* * *

Thanks, M.Z.! I fully expect to see these bunnycats make an appearance in a future book, and I cannot wait for them! hehe


I'll be back later this week with another author interview!



Born and raised in Spain, M.Z. Medina has always been fascinated by all kinds of fantasy tales. She writes Fantasy and Speculative fiction, is an avid reader and gamer, and you can find her at @MZMauthor on twitter or at mzmedina.wordpress.com.

Comments

Post a Comment