Meet the TRICKED Authors: Chace Verity

Tricked:
An Anthology of Short Fiction
Hey folks! I'm back to finish up this series of trickster-themed interviews with the TRICKED anthology authors. If you haven't grabbed a copy yet, check out this collection of stories filled with tricksters, scoundrels, plot twists, and conspiracies. And if you have read it, we'd love if you could take a second to leave a quick review on Amazon or Goodreads. Ratings and reviews help more people find these stories!

Chace Verity, author of queer romances, is here today to talk about tricksters and their contribution to Tricked. "Lucky Charm" is a humorous m/m romance set in 1928 about a Deaf movie star who seeks revenge on his ex by teaming up with his old childhood friend to pull off Tinseltown's most petty heist.

I adore the two main characters in this story, and I'm pretty sure you will too! So ... let's get to know Chace!


Without giving anything important away, who is your trickster in "Lucky Charm," and what inspired you to write their story?
Our disastrous thieves who haven't seen each other in decades, Gilbert and Quill, were actually inspired by an anecdote comedian George Burns shared in one of his biographies. He came home one night to find his house being burgled and was shocked to discover he actually knew the thief, an old friend from his childhood. That set-up had potential to go in so many directions and lingered with me for years after I read it. I was thrilled to finally get the chance to explore one possible direction.

Who is your favorite trickster from literature, movies, TV, folklore, etc.?
I'm not sure who my all-time favorite is, but the one who springs to my mind most prominently right now is the protagonist of the Persona 5 series. The protagonist is referred to as the Trickster multiple times due to his unique abilities and shares many characteristics with the legendary gentleman thief, Arsène Lupin. He's a good kid who has to resort to shady tactics to save the world from adults who have become self-centered and cruel, all while trying to survive high school.

If we were all characters in a heist story, what skill would you bring to our team?
You need someone to create a distraction? I'm your person. I'm great at keeping a conversation going or faking an illness. There were a few instances in my college days where I called the college campus security to help me get into my room after I "lost" my keys so my friends could break into a campus building to borrow some equipment (everything was returned, I promise!).

Everyone knows how much I love animals, so . . . If you had an animal mascot for your writing, what kind of animal would it be?
A fox! They're cute as heck, but, you know... Sometimes my stuff looks like a fox just went through a chicken coop... And have you ever heard one bark? I sound like that when I solve a problem in my writing. Or when I am playing billiards.

What project are you working on now?
I just finished up a great enby/f/f fantasy novel that I wish I could talk more about, but I need to keep a lid on it for the moment! I'm also editing a m/m and m/f fantasy novella that is the next part of my Absolutes series. My Heart Is Yours will be out sometime in December! :D I can't wait for everyone to meet my messy soldiers as they investigate the mystery of a sick Wishing Well.

* * *

Thanks, Chace! Everyone needs a good distraction buddy--bonus if they're fox-like--and we're so glad to have you on the TRICKED team!

I'll be answering these in for myself in my newsletter later this week, so if you haven't signed up you can get on the list here and grab a free story, too. :)



Chace Verity (she/they) is publishing queer as heck stories with a strong romantic focus, although friendships and found families are important, too. Chace prefers to write fantasy but dabbles in contemporary and historical fiction as well. An American citizen & Canadian permanent resident, Chace will probably never be able to call a gallon of milk a "four-liter." You can find out more about them on Twitter or their website.

Comments