My Favorite Romance Tropes

Gather any group of romance readers and they're bound to eventually chat about tropes. We love discussing our favorite romance tropes and sharing our favorite books that feature each. You can view a big list of romance tropes on Mindy Klasky's site. For writers, it's a great reference when you're brainstorming or when you find yourself using the same tropes over and over and want to try some different combinations. All the Kissing also recently did a post on some popular tropes with lists of book examples for each. I love that everyone has their own favorite flavors and that we as writers get to mix them up like wacky Ben & Jerry's combos. YUM!

In my current series so far, I've used friends to lovers, sister's best friend, single parent, second chance, and a twist on the workplace romance. With book three, I even used a trope I said I'd never write: secret baby/pregnancy. Never say never, I guess! I will say it can be fun to take tropes you don't normally gravitate to and put your own spin on them.

In this post, I want to highlight some of my personal favorite tropes, in no particular order of preference. I do plan to write some posts in the future breaking down what I love so much about each of these along with some of my favorite examples.



Friends to Lovers 

This might be my favorite of all time? For reading and writing. I think I've used it in three different manuscripts, and you'll see it again in the fourth novella of my current series. There's something really endearing and satisfying about watching two people with a ton of history fall in love.

Second Chance

Be still my heart. I am such a sucker for second chance stories of all kinds. These are sometimes harder to hit right for me as a romance reader, because usually the couple are exes for a reason. But if the characters can grow and change and get things right THIS time ... ahhhhh perfection.

Enemies to Lovers

This trope is so much fun! All that conflict built in right from the start. It can be another one that's difficult to pull off, but oh it's delicious when it works.

Cranky Heroine

GIMME. Seriously, give them all to me. I want all of your women who are fed up with everyone's shit and they are NOT having it anymore. They especially aren't going to tolerate any shenanigans from the love interest. This is a variation of the "sassy" heroine, I guess, but there's a lot of baggage that comes with the word sassy that makes me ... cranky.


This trope sort of goes along with what Jenny Crusie calls the "Oh, hell, not YOU” trope, which is probably why I adore her books. I'm currently outlining a new side project with this dynamic, and I am beyond excited to dive into it!

*** BONUS Trope Fav: Found Family

This isn't really a romance trope, but I do love seeing it appear in romance stories. I love, love, love when at least one of the main characters has a family-like support system of friends who aren't abandoned once a romantic relationship shows up and who have the MC's back no matter what. The folks who not only know where your bodies are buried but are also the folks who show up with the shovels. Because friendship is magic.


What's your favorite romance trope? Do you have a favorite you find yourself coming back to time and time again for reading? For writing?

Comments