20 Ways to Celebrate (even if you kind of suck at celebrating)

One of my most valuable skills is my ability to move right on to the next project once I finish one. It's how I get sh*t done, and it's a vital skill for a freelancer. The downside is it can be so easy to forget (or ignore) the need to celebrate accomplishments. And truly, it IS a need, especially for writers who spend their days correcting their work and asking other folks for feedback on what to change/correct. Even the most respectful, constructive feedback can pile up in the back of your mind and get internalized as negative messages. (And we aren't even talking about negative reviews or submission rejections!)

An easy way to balance out that negativity is to invite plenty of positive energy into your life by celebrating your successes. Unfortunately, some of us (*cough*) weren't born celebrators or didn't grow up in an environment where things were celebrated, and we need to actually work and develop tools to help us learn how to PAUSE and revel in our achievements. Even for just an hour. Then we can get back to conquering the world, ok?

The first thing that usually comes to mind is going out for a fancy dinner and drinks, which is fine, but what happens if you're short on cash, you get sick, or your babysitter flakes on you? There are plenty of other ways to celebrate, although I'll be the first to admit my mind usually goes blank. That's why I need a list! When I know I have something coming up to celebrate (like a book launch!), I circle a day on the calendar and consult my list for fun ideas to honor my level-up.

Not champagne :)

Not sure what to put on that calendar? The key is to plan something...anything! Even a tiny but intentional acknowledgment can be incredibly joyous and meaningful. Here's my list of celebratory ideas for a little inspiration:
  1. Pour a glass of bubbly - Champagne is great, but wine and champagne give me migraines, so I'm a seltzer gal lately. Pour a glass of your favorite festive beverage and toast to success!
  2. Light it up - Plug in a festive string of lights, clear or colorful, whatever floats your boat. I'm always surprised at how much this little trick lifts my mood. Sometimes I turn on the colored lights in my kitchen just to celebrate that it's Friday night.
  3. Buy cut flowers OR buy something to plant - Cut flowers are beautiful and speak for themselves, but don't overlook the opportunity to plant some beauties outside your window that will make you smile year after year. Maybe even a giant flowering tree or bush to commemorate a huge accomplishment.
  4. Blow bubbles - Blow bubbles in your backyard, off your balcony, at the park, wherever. Have some fun and make new wishes and dreams with each batch of bubbles you release into the air.
  5. Enjoy a sweet treat - Whether you bake it yourself or pick them up at the store, this is the perfect opportunity to treat yourself to brownies, cookies, cake, ice cream with sprinkles, or a fancy coffee with whipped cream.
  6. Visit a local animal shelter -  Snuggle some kitties or help walk some doggos! Just call or check their website first, since some have specific visiting hours and specific guidelines for volunteers.
  7. Get a haircut - That cut you saved on pinterest that you keep looking at and have been dying to try? Get it! Or at least schedule that appointment. Fresh project, fresh 'do!
  8. Take the day off - Stay in your pj's and read a whole book, start to finish
  9. Mani-pedi - Go out to get one if that's your thing, or stay home and diy it. Maybe get some bright new polish to try.
  10. Share it - Shout out your success on your favorite social media site and let your friends celebrate with you.
  11. Take a selfie - Commemorate the moment with a pic of your smiling face! (and share that, too)
  12. Sparkle - Pick up a new shade of lip gloss, or give yourself a mini makeover (take a pic of that, too!)
  13. Snag a memento - Whether it's a pop figure, a new phone case, or a cute mouse pad, find something fun that can also be a reminder of your achievement.
  14. Hang your dreams - Frame your book cover, a page from a favorite calendar, or a motivational quote and hang it above your work space for inspiration to keep you reaching for the stars.
  15. Dance it out - Put on some tunes to get your groove on, or play Just Dance on your gaming system with some friends, your partner, or your kids. 
  16. Get a tattoo (or think about it) - Not ready to make that leap? Create a tattoo inspiration board on pinterest and fill it with ideas for potentially commemorating your next big milestone.
  17. Declutter - I know, I know, this sounds like work, but some of us (*cough*) love a good purge. As soon as I finish writing this, I have a freshly cleaned bookshelf that I can't wait to organize! It helps tidy my physical space and my mind, so I can better focus on my next project.
  18. Take-out and chill - Order some pizza or Chinese or whatever you can get delivered and watch a movie or series you've been meaning to catch up on but never had the time because you were so busy BEING AWESOME.
  19. Get physical - Go for a long hike, do a special yoga video, hula hoop ... whatever gets your blood pumping and makes you feel good.
  20. Start a success journal - I'm really good about writing down goal lists and crossing them off, but what if I write down the things I accomplish and journal about how those things make me FEEL? (I have not tried this, but I'm thinking about it.)
How often does one find ice cream branded for their book series???

Comments