Monthly Favorites Roundup: July 2018

This will be the first in my series of monthly roundups. I won't list all the media and stories I've consumed or even all those I've enjoyed. Just a few highlights or things I really want to share or talk about.

Give me a shout in the comments if you want to rec something similar to what you see in my list, or if you just want to share your own love for anything here!


What I've been reading:
  • So many last minute passes through Rim Shot Rebound. So. Many. (That counts, yes?)
  • A Princess in Theory by Alyssa Cole - This was the book that pulled me out of my full-length novel reading slump. So much fun, and I can't wait for the next book.
  • Hard to Find by Chase Verity - This collection of friendship stories features LGBTQIA+ characters, and I swear to you reading this felt exactly like a warm, comforting book hug.<3

What I've been listening to:
  • The Duchess Deal by Tessa Dare - This was my first Tessa Dare book ever, and it had some of the most delicious banter I have ever read/heard. Great characters. Loved it! Sadly, I think this is the only book of hers my library has in audio.
  • Meet Cute - This is a collection of YA short stories that I've been listening to on and off for a few months--a story here, a story there. I really enjoyed the diversity of the different meet cutes and the characters.
  • So many podcasts. One of these days, I'll get organized and share a list of my favs.

What I've been watching:
  • Luke Cage, season 2 - So good. I loved season 1, but so far I think this season might be even better. (Although, I'm not halfway through yet.) I'm loving the examination of what it means to be a hero, and the different ways people can be heroes. Plus, the cast is fantastic, as always.
  • Nailed It!, season 2 - I watch this with my kids, and this hot mess of a show is absolutely perfect. If ever there was a year that needed this much laughter, this is it!
  • I don't think I saw a single movie this month? It was a struggle to scrape together an hour in the evenings for a LC episode, so two hours for a movie wasn't an option.

What's in my Pocket (app):
  • Alpha vs Beta: Who Runs M/F Romance? - The article is written by Talia Hibbert, so it's a delightful read no matter your preference. I do think a lot of these examples fall under "alphaholes" rather than true alphas (which is a whole other discussion), but by her definition, betas 4eva! Although, I said I'd never write a pregnancy romance and I did exactly that, so maybe you'll see an alpha from me one day, haha.
  • Why You Need an Untouchable Day Every Week - This idea always fascinates me, but I haven't managed to make it work yet. I'm not even sure my creative brain can work in large chunks of time like this? Still, it's on my mind.

Comments