Louisiana Life: Satsuma Season

It's late fall in South Louisiana, which means I have mountains of little orange gems on my kitchen counter. And I don't even have an orange tree of my own! It's not uncommon this time of year to come home to a bag of satsumas hanging from my front doorknob or to be handed a bag as I leave a relative's house.

Satsuma by boggycreekfarm licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

Seriously, as I was writing this my husband came home with another gigantic bag someone had given him. He and I have even started changing the lyrics of "Tangerine" to "Satsuma" this year. (Harry's version is my favorite.)


An overabundance of oranges is a great problem to have, but as grateful as we are for these juicy sweet treats, we do get tired of eating them after a while. My youngest loves to make juice, so that makes a good dent in the pile. Sometimes we freeze extra juice in ice cube trays to use in recipes later. But this year I wanted to try new ways to make use of our satsumas.

We started with this recipe for Flourless Whole Tangerine Cake. It was FANTASTIC. So good that it disappeared before I had a chance to snap a photo of the one we made. Yes, almond flour is expensive, but it adds protein and makes a great gluten-free cake. It's also a little more cost-effective when you're utilizing free oranges. I also love that this uses the whole orange. Yes, peeling and all! You boil the oranges first, to eliminate some of the bitterness, then remove any large seeds and puree the oranges in a food processor. This sounded a little weird to me at first, but it was delicious. And the whole family agreed this is definitely a make-again recipe, which is rare here!

Next up, we're working on cookie recipes. I used some of the extra whole orange puree and used this Create Your Own Cookie Recipe template to throw together some cookies last week. They were tasty, but not quite what I was looking for. We'll definitely be experimenting more with this, though, over the next month or so.

So that's how we're using up our satsuma surplus this year. Do you have any favorite satsuma or orange recipes?

Comments